Thank you all for your great comments the other day. I appreciate your honesty very much, and it was interesting to read your answers. I was thinking it’s time to tackle some of those difficult things to change. Let’s help one another find ways to change our habits!!
The top answer was: to stop using plastics. Are you surprised?
Here are plastics specifically listed:
- plastic shopping bags
- produce bags
- Ziploc freezer bags
- dog poop bags
- kitty litter bags
- yogurt containers
- packing lunches
- containers for sending others home with leftovers
- garden supplies
- food packaging
And here are some specific issues related to the subject:
- Getting the family to use reusable bags
- Buying packaged food vs. bulk
- Remembering to bring reusable shopping bags
So Let’s Tackle This. How Do We Stop Using Plastic?
First of all, let me know if you need a little extra incentive, and I’ll compile some information, pictures, facts, figures… Say, a “Scared Straight” program for plastics? Let me know – that does work for some people. For now, let’s go to the straight solutions….
Here Are Some Solutions:
- Throwback at Trapper Creek suggests freezing food in canning jars.
- Rob suggests taking a poop scoop with you when you walk the dog, and just scoop the poop and empty it in the garbage; or use a Doggy Dooley (I used one of these once and loved it – it works well).
- On remembering to bring plastic bags, debra suggests putting the bags back in the car as soon as you’re done unpacking them.
- I suggest reusing plastic bags for as long as you can.
- I also suggest finding a good set of long-lasting, reusable, microwavable, bakeable, freezable glass containers whenever possible. With enough sizes, you shouldn’t need ziplocs. If you don’t microwave, you can find metal containers as well.
- And lastly, make your own shopping bags. It’s easy!
What Else Do You Do To Reduce Plastic Use?
Help your fellow comrades along this path!!
We’ll address several other topics in the coming days – stay tuned for more…
- Seattle Bans Free Shopping Bags & Foam Take-Out Containers
- Neither Paper Nor Plastic: How To Make Your Own Grocery Bags Simply!
- How Do You Get People To Change Their Lifestyles?
- How Do We Choose Between Budget and Environment? Here Are 25 Ways To Do Both!
- How Was Your Holiday Celebration Different This Year?