I realized I haven’t posted a recipe in a while – whoops! Here is a savory delicious dish we’ve made a couple of times with potatoes and tomatoes from the garden, and some lovely onions and garlic from the farmer’s market. (Note: I had a couple of questions about “those dark things” in the photo – they’re Purple Peruvian Potatoes!)
Easy Baked Potatoes & Tomatoes, Apulian Style
Note: these are approximations, as we sort of threw everything into the pan and baked it. If you have more tomatoes, it will be saucier, and if you have more potatoes this will be thicker.
- 4 lbs. potatoes
- 2 lbs. tomatoes
- 1/2 head garlic (a whole head if it’s small)
- 1 medium to large onion
- salt and pepper to taste
- a handful of basil (optional)
- 1 t crushed red pepper (optional)
1. Preheat oven to 400F.
2. Chop the potatoes, tomatoes, and onions into medium-sized chunks.
3. Chop the garlic into large pieces.
4. Throw potatoes, tomatoes, onions, garlic, red pepper, and 1/2 of the basil into a 9×13″ baking pan. Salt and pepper to taste (being fairly liberal with them). Mix together.
5. Bake 30 minutes.
6. Mix well.
7. Bake 15 minutes.
8. Mix well.
9. Bake another 15 minutes.
10. Remove from oven and let rest for 10 minutes.
11. Re-season if necessary. Serve as a side or as a main dish over pasta, topping it with fresh basil.
Makes 6-8 servings. Served here over whole wheat pasta, accompanied by local wine and cheese.