Several of you asked for it… So here it is – the new Growing Challenge!
This year, I need to work on my four season gardening. I keep neglecting to plant winter crops early enough in the fall. As a result, my garden gets put to bed for the winter. It’s so sad, because greens, root vegetables, and all sorts of other tasties could be feeding us over the winter.
So this year, I’m taking the challenge. I will have harvestable fruits and/or vegetables every season of the year. I will plan ahead. I will plant some things from seed. And I will eat gloriously!
I know there are garden neglecters out there, and new gardeners thinking about doing it for the first time. So please join me!!
I’ll do my best to remind you all to think about the next season in time to plant, to give you tips for interplanting and succession planting, and to finally write “How To Grow A Four-Season Garden Part 3.” Plus I’ll write “How To Save Vegetable Seeds Part 2,” for those who are more adventurous (it’s not required).
- For each of the four seasons of 2011, grow at least one type of fruit or vegetable that you’ve never grown before, and grow it from seed. (That is, at least 4 crops from seed this year: one for each season.) If you’ve never grown anything, well, grow one thing! If you’ve never grown beans or carrots or lettuce or strawberries, try one of those…. And if you don’t have a garden, you can grow in a pot or on a window sill!
- Check in here and evangelize gardening. Checking in here allows us all to learn from one another – I won’t post all the time, but will try to do it once a month at least. Ask questions, share stories, whatever you’re thinking about regarding your garden. And tell others about gardening if and when you can. It’s a great thing for the world, to have more people eating from the land!
- Sign up in the comments below. Include your Name, your gardening zone*, your location, and your pledge (you can add extra challenges for yourself if you like). In other words, if I were signing up, I’d write:
- Melinda, USA zone 8, Seattle, WA, and I’m going to grow a 4 season garden this year! To give myself an extra challenge, I am also going to try to save seeds from at least one crop in the fall. Good luck everyone!
- Grow at least one crop from seed to seed.
- Evangelize on your blog, or in your local newsletters, PTA meetings, community gatherings, or even just talking with your friends and family. Inspire at least 3 others to garden!
- Substitute growing your own for buying produce from a local farm year round. If you don’t have a garden, this is a great alternative.
- Others? Please add them!
This little doodad can go on your blog, or the larger one above can be printed out and put on your fridge as a reminder. Feel free to tell others about the challenge – the more the merrier!!
To add a button to your blog, right-click on the image and save it to your desktop. Then upload it to your blog as you would any other image, with a link to:
Oh, and once you’ve uploaded the image, just check to make sure the link works and the image loads correctly.
- Barely beautiful girl, Ohio, US – zone 6
- Judy, Eastern Iowa, US – zone 5a
- Deb G, Bellingham, WA, US – zone 7
- Green Bean, Bay Area, US – zone 9/10
- Ken Toney, West Virginia, US – zone 6
- Angie Harding, Southern Highlands, Australia – zone 3 Aust, zone 9 US
- Rue, Perth, Australia – zone 4 Aust, zone 10 US
- Lyndsay, London, UK – zone 8
- Michael J. Church, US – zone 5b
- Andrea, Cape Cod, MA, US – zone 7
- Andi, US – zone 4
- Rob, WA, US – zone 7
- Mark Ruhl, US – zone 6
- Kim, Long Island, NY, US – zone 6b
- Lynda, Sacramento Valley, CA, US – zone 9
- Peggy, Denver, CO, US – zone 5/6
- Helen, Catonsville, MD, US – zone 7
- Marianna, Greece – zone 9
- Kory – zone 5
- Eryn – zone 5b
- Melissa (Bee Girl), Santa Fe, NM – zone 6-7
- Elizabeth, Australia – zone 8-10 US
- Christie Mandeville, Washington, DC – zone 7
- Grace, Atlanta, GA and Greenwood, SC – zone 8
- Heather Adkins, Louisville, KY – zone 6
- Catherine, Texas – zone 8
- Barb, Pennsylvania – zone 6-7
- Jeanine, Lost Coast, CA – zone 9-10
- C Robb – zone 7-8
- Melinda, Seattle, WA – zone 8
- Jody, Eastern Iowa – zone 4-5
- Shell, Eagle, PA – zone 5-6
- Dorothy, Southern California – zone 9-10
- Katherine, SE of Atlanta, GA – zone 7b-8
- Carrie, Newark, NJ – zone 7
- Brandi & Terri, Mankato MN – zone 4-5
- Guru and Giri, Bay Area- zone 8b
- Stacy, Indiana – zone 5
- Frances, Bermuda – zone 10-11
- Jonathan, Yakima, WA – zone 6a
Sign Up Below!
This is the fourth annual Growing Challenge. For a peek into past Growing Challenge history, visit the original Growing Challenge.