You can be the master of your own health. While physicians and specialists went to school for several years and are experts in their medical fields, you are – more than anyone else – an expert on you.
I believe that there are great things about Western medicine and great things about Eastern medicine and healing. Both have their place. And the only one who knows whether or not something is truly good for you is you.
And so here I have embarked on my Year About Me to nurture myself – physically, spiritually, and mindfully. Much of this nurturing will happen on my own, but for some of it I will consult specialists in their fields. I have already seen a naturopath who does acupuncture (ND) and a physician (MD). There will be others.
As I was researching naturopathy a bit, I found the suggestion – over and over – to create a Wellness Plan. Dr. Jung mentions this in Clean as well.
That sounded like the exact right thing for me to do to set my goals for my Year About Me. So here is my start.
By the End of the Year I Hope To…
- Lift my arms over my head! (My shoulders are stuck, due to some old car accidents and tendinitis.)
- Learn to live happily gluten free. (Yes, I’ll write about this soon.)
- Figure out my next career step.
- Reduce my meds for asthma to just the rescue inhaler. (I’ve been slowly weaning off my meds for a few years – but still take 4.)
- Exercise regularly (outside of walking) – yoga or some other form.
- Increase my number of social interactions. (I’m a bit of a hermit at times and want to be more social and a part of my community.)
- Decrease my number of negative thoughts, words, and actions.
- Have a healthy garden we regularly eat from. (I’ve been neglecting it lately.)
- Write more, and write about the things I want to write about.
- Spend more time outside of work with my family.
- Become more in touch with my physical and mental wants and needs.
- Reduce and maintain a lower weight that feels good. (~120-125 lbs? I’ll know it when I feel it.)
In no particular order really – I want all of them! I will be updating this throughout the year, to be sure – there will likely be things on my Plan 6 months ago that I don’t even know I need or want now.
Do You Have a Wellness Plan?
I’d love to know what you all put on your plans. Have you put everything in one year, or do you space it out – not too many changes at once? Are you more specific? And how do you tackle your Plan??
Blueberry smoothie for breakfast.
Lentils, brown rice, and greens for lunch.
Chia smoothie for dinner.
Well Being Meter
I have picked up an absolutely hyper sense of smell. (No, I’m not pregnant!) I have a crazy sense of smell – I smell toxic smells like you wouldn’t believe. I smell the ink in pens, the cleaning products used in stores, the body smell of each person I work with, shoes, food from every direction, … the list goes on and on. My walk home is becoming a cacophony of different smells. Interesting, to be sure.
I do feel a bit bloated today. Weight 128 lbs (gained a lb. from yesterday). And there was a moment when I felt really depleted and spacey, so I decided to eat lunch early for the first time.
I had a dream last night that I was enjoying eating something, and about 1/2 through eating it, I realized it had potatoes in it. (Potatoes are not allowed on the diet!)
My skin looks a bit dull today (ie not as vibrant as it has been during the Cleanse) - it might be because I’m not sweating enough. That’s one thing I haven’t been doing much – who has regular access to a sauna?? I’m putting it on the list of things to do for sure during my next cleanse.
I went out for happy hour and had… lemon water. While it was not the most fun happy hour ever, it was not as bad as I thought it would be. And I saved about $25 in drinks and food!