I admit I was disheartened by the small response the other day, and I want to address the incredible need we have to continue our sustainable paths far beyond ourselves. Please indulge me and leave a comment about your thoughts!
Why Doing It Alone Isn’t Enough
Living a sustainable (or simple, or green) lifestyle is hard sometimes – no question. It’s not always easy to try new things, to find what works for you – and find what your family will handle. I believe we all come here to learn how to do that better, to figure out new tricks and ideas, and to lean on others for support.
Awesome. I love that. I need that!
Once we get to a certain point, when we have found most of the answers we’re going to find, when we have made most of the changes we’re realistically going to make in our homes, though, WE CAN’T STOP.
Nobody wants to hear that there is more to be done, that we can’t just live our simple lifestyles in peace. But I want to be the one to tell you that it isn’t enough. You can’t stop. We need you to do more. Society needs you to keep going beyond your own lifestyle changes.
You can’t change the world by living simply all by yourself. There are a million reasons to change your own lifestyle, and doing that alone is something to be sure. But there’s more. And I firmly believe you cannot live a truly sustainable lifestyle without doing more. We have too far to go, and individual change is too slow.
What Else Do We Need To Do?
- Participate in local politics. Vote. Sign petitions. Protest. Make contributions. Volunteer your time to pass important laws. Run for office even, and do whatever you can to support those who share your values.
- Educate. Teach your children, and your neighbors’ children. Pay your teachers a living wage. Be an active member in the PTA. Mentor and tutor. Write books, blogs, newsletters, and letters to editors. Make sure that next generation does not make the same mistakes we did by actively guiding them to a better way. Get people to change their ways and to collectively redefine normal.
- Form groups. Yes, join groups for sure. But if there isn’t a group that should exist, make it happen – don’t rely on others. Bring people together to learn, talk, and most importantly, to act.
- Support organizations. There are entities that are large and doing great things already. During this economy, they are able to do less due to lack of funding. HELP them with your time, your money, your donations, and your ideas. Volunteer, become a board member, attend events, offer your home as a meeting place, or do a number of other things to help.
- Encourage businesses to do what you do. Be a voice in your own office – write a CSR plan, help change light bulbs, start a corporate giving program. Support businesses you believe in, and don’t support those you don’t. Find unique solutions to business problems that are positive for the world. Ask business to give time and money to important causes. Inspire them to deliver more in the way of world change.
That’s just the start of the list. What else do we need to do? Are you doing these things now? If so, how is it working?